We use the term 'Features' to categorise stand alone products that are designed and made to set a tone or context apart from the rest of the finishes. We often talk about finishes in this context, "Rustic", "Industrial" or "Scandinavian" all set a scene and identify a brand for viewers to identify with. Car manufacturers have long sought to identify their brand with recognisable values like Dependable, Innovative or Sensible. Architects and interior designers work through the same considerations and when applying recycled features can add brand identifiers like: Respect - for what came before, Comfort - for the easy natural appeal and feel of shaped timber and Innovation - for having commissioned bespoke solutions to best fit your needs. There are many others, each of us thankfully have different and complex needs and values, hence the benefit of custom design and manufacture.
Features shouldn't dominate a room, but should be at least generate a subconscious nod to the values that matter to you, as demonstrated in the image below of a complex staircase that we did for a client who appreciated the technical skill and complexity of fitting things together without showing fixings but also valued the simplicity of letting timber be timber, stone stone etc. Essentially the Architect on this job painted a highly technical modern masterpiece with a Pallet of Natural Materials
- Industrial/ Rustic
- Old unfinished timbers with varying degrees of weathering. Brushed and carved as necessary to prevent splinters with potential for exposed bolts and nail holes
- Finished with Matte stain or clear Oil or Acrylic
- Very Organic and natural, associated with stability, legacy and country values
- Satin Painted finishes with subtle timber grain showing through so clearly solid timber
- Can have clear timber or stone highlights
- Structurally over designed to inspire confidence and a respect for classical design setting a context of "old money" multigenerational wisdom and stability
- Filled and shaped to the minimum materials required to achieve the need.
- Sanded and filled to highlight features and finished in Matte oil or Acrylic
- Clean simple designs highlighting the function and setting a context of innovation, critical thinking and thrift.
- Feature walls which we would normally make CLT panels 15mm thick and up to 1200wide x 3300long in the factory for installing on French Cleats (Split Battens)
- Can be varying thickness and lengths for 3D effect
- Can be multiple species and finishes or single species
- Can be supplied or installed as individual components
- Posts and Beams can be clad similar to wall panelling but with Finger Jointed mitred corners, internal will be 15mm thick cladding, External 30mm thick
- Bed Heads, Consoles, Sideboards, Tables, Chairs, TV Units, Display Cases, Mantle pieces
- Tend to be bespoke designs to suit the needs of the individual piece
- Commonly fabricated from either 15mm solid or 30mm thick Lightweight CLT boards skinned with appropriate recycled timbers
- Shelving can be Floating (no visible fixing) or fixed with timber or metal brackets as wall fixing, budget and aesthetics dictate. We can also make 46mm, 70mm or 95mm thick lightweight boards for a much higher perceived value.
- Mantle Pieces tend to be solid timbers, either old wharf, bridge or warehouse timbers with sizes dictated more by whats available of a relevant scale and finish than what might be specified.